- I got some fall plant ideas from Home Depot. True, it is not the best nursery around, but as long as I was there, I decided to browse.
- Japanese Blood Grass: I have really been noticing grasses lately, and have been toying with planting some in the backyard. This particular grass has a deep red color that is reminiscent of fall.
- Crocosmia: This flowers in a deep harvest yellow. I love this color, but it is also very nice to see something flowering other than chrysanthemums.
- Baby’s Tears: This moss-like ground cover would look perfect in my shade garden.
- I prepped the cold-frame for the winter, including scrubbing the plexiglass top.
- The hanging baskets have been stored. One of these days, I should actually scrub them out, but at least they are neatly stacked and stowed away.
- The cherry tree isn’t losing its leaves yet, but the big hazelnut is. I have had to rake the lawn twice so far. At least the leaves make a nice mulch. Some people compost them first, or at least chop them up, but I take the lazy approach and just pile the leaves around the trees and shrubs as I rake.
- Nothing this month.
- I pruned the leaves off the backyard rose, but have not gotten to the ones in front yet.
Fruits, Nuts, and Berries
- I fertilized the potted strawberry with coffee grounds.
- I top-dressed the honeycrisp with compost and then mulched it with leaves.
- The potato beds got winterized.
- I harvested the beans, tore down their deer cage, and cleaned the bed. Everybody liked this year’s purple beans, but they did not produce as much as a normal crop, so I won’t grow them again next year.
- I bought early, mid, and late season Italian garlic and planted it in the bean bed. Amazingly enough, I even had enough foresight to plant the late season garlic in the middle of the bed, so I can harvest everything without crushing other plants in the process.
- Now that it is getting colder, I put a sheet of plastic over the tomatoes. Next year we will build a more stable A-frame. This one does not hold up in the wind, and it does not completely cover the tomatoes. The plastic is also only semi-clear, but we already had it and did not feel like going to the store for more.
- I finally cleared out an area for the oregano and transplanted it. We will see if it survives the winter.
- I pulled out most of the bachelor’s button. The rest will follow shortly, and it will not be replanted next year. I think they would look great in a meadow, but these flowers were too leggy and weedy this close to the house.
- The allium got deadheaded.
- The calla lilies got the old foliage removed.
- The bulbs in the reclaimed section of my front flower bed got top-dressed with compost. There are more in the overgrown zone, along with the shade garden, that I have not gotten to yet.
- I am still waiting for my hyacinth and tulip bulbs to arrive.
- The Indian plum was top-dressed with compost and mulched with leaves.
- I continued tying the climbing roses to the trellis. This should be the last month of that until spring.
- The rose in the backyard got top-dressed with compost and mulched with leaves. I haven’t gotten to the others yet.
- I top-dressed the lilac with compost and mulched it with leaves.
- They were watered mid-month. The African violet looked extremely wilted, so I gave it a good soaking. The others were watered as normal.
- The plants that were still flowering got fertilized once with coffee grounds.