What I have accomplished this month:
- I stopped talking about starting a blog and actually did it!
- I turned the compost pile. There are a lot of scientific composting techniques, but mine is more practical than anything else: If I run out of finished compost, I turn the pile.
- I battled potato blight. Fortunately, the infection wasn’t severe, and I only had to cut down five plants.
- Finally started harvesting. I got some garlic, alpine strawberries, turnips (both roots and greens), and peas. And my daughter harvested her potatoes.
- Transplanted one of my inherited roses, but I’m not sure it will make it. I thought that was the last one, but a rose I thought was dead put up new growth this week. Guess I’m transplanting roses again next year.
- The roses I transplanted last year finally grew long enough to tie to the trellis.
- Plated bachelor’s buttons in the front bed. So far I’m not impressed, but if they reseed and grow in thicker next year, I could change my mind.
- I braved the world of houseplants. Let’s hope I don’t kill them. My history with potted plants isn’t nearly as good as when the plants are firmly rooted int eh ground.
What I wish I had accomplished:
- Keeping up with the weeding. I did a decent job with the flower beds, but couldn’t quite keep up with the veggie garden and the strawberry patch.
- I had hoped to buy a truckload of mulch for my shrubs and flower gardens, but never got around to it.
- Changed my comment settings to non-filtering. I had no idea I had comments until I went to post this. I need to change that. Has been fixed.