- Where are the drainage problems?
- Look at pictures from this summer. What do I like? What don’t I like?
- Check on plants under eaves and in the cold frame. Are they getting enough water?
- Update bird feeders and bird bath.
- Sharpen mower blades.
- Rake leaves as needed.
- Conquer the front bed.
- Edge beds.
- Mow as needed.
- Save major pruning for later.
- Prune out blackspot on roses and trim back long canes.
- Prune wasp galls off roses and place them around the garden.
Fruits, Nut, and Berries
- Top-dress hazelnuts with compost and then mulch them with leaves.
- Prep new strawberry bed.
- Cut down the dying apple tree.
- Continue cleanup as crops are harvested.
- Nothing this month.
- Pull out the last of the bachelor’s button.
- Top-dress bulbs with compost.
- Plant the hyacinths before the tulips.
- Mulch any newly planted bulbs with leaves.
- Divide the sword fern, transplant it, and then top-dress it with compost.
- Transplant the fuchsia from the front bed to the shade garden.
- Transplant the hostas from the backyard to the shade garden.
- Trim the leaves from all non-climbing roses.
- Top-dress the roses with compost and then mulch them with leaves.
- Check for damage after windstorms.
- Top-dress shrubs with compost and then mulch them.
- Clear the hops vines from the trellis.
- Attack the ivy, blackberry, and the bindweed.
- Water them only once this month, but keep an eye on the African violet.