As I mentioned in my previous post, after finally clearing most of the poplar roots from my new herb bed, I discovered that cinder blocks were buried under the dirt — a good five to six inches deep — in about a third of the bed. Thus the next battle began.
The first thing I had to do was uncover the cinder blocks. To do this, I discovered that a snow shovel worked best, because it had a flat blade and could scrape most of the dirt off with ease. Then I went over the blocks with an old broom to get as much dirt off as possible.
Now it was time for the pry bar. Fortunately for me, the previous owners had not mortared the blocks together, so this chore was not as onerous as it could have been. When I was done, I had a decently-sized stack of cinder blocks, a lot of very compressed dirt, and an exposed ant farm.
Finally, the end was in sight.